El Prat Josep Tarradellas (BCN) is the main Barcelona airport. It is about 13 km south-west of the Barcelona city centre (Plaça Catalunya). From the airport you can get to the city by bus, metro, train or taxi.
Metro Barcelona - El Prat airport
The metro line L9 sud can be taken in the T1 and T2 airport terminals of Barcelona and connects with 4 urban metro lines: Torrassa station with the line L1, Collblanc station with L5, Zona Universitaria station with L3 and Can Tries / Gornal station with L10. The L9 Sud has two stations in the area of Fira de Barcelona Gran Via and at the Europa Fira station, you can change with the FGC, which will take you to Plaça Espanya.
The normal single fare ticket is not valid for the Airport. It is necessary to buy a special single ticket to the airport. It is also important to note that the T-casual card is not valid for the airport (although if you arrive at the airport with an invalid ticket, you can buy an airport ticket to leave the station).
- Price single ticket: 5.15 € (price 2022)
- Valid cards (most common): Hola BCN, T-usual, T-dia
- Transit time to Plaza Catalunya, Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter: approx. 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Transit time to the area of Sagrada Familia: approx 1 hour 15 minutes.
Bus Barcelona - El Prat airport | AEROBUS
The fastest bus with a more frequent service is the AEROBUS. It has a light blue colour and there are busstops at all the terminals of the airport. It runs beween the airport and the Plaça de Catalunya (centre of Barcelona) and the travel time is about 35 minutes. There are 2 lines, the A1 (light blue) which runs from the Terminal 1 (T1) and the A2 (light blue) from the Terminal 2 (T2).
The price for the one way ticket is 5,90 Euros and round ticket is 10,20 Euros (price 2022). Children under 4 years are free.
AEROBUS line A1
- This is the route from the airport (Terminal T1): Plaza España, Gran Via-Borrell, Plaza de la Universitat and Plaza Catalunya (city centre).
- From Plaza Catalunya to the airport: Sepúlveda-Urgell, Plaza Españya, Airport Terminal T1.
Timetable and frequency of the AEROBUS A1
- Service 24 hours a day all year round. The frequency of passage varies according to the hours of the day and goes from 5 minutes at peak hours to 2 hours 20 minutes at certain times of the night. In this link you can check the schedules in real time.
AEROBUS line A2
- This is the route from the airport (Terminal T2B): Airport (Terminal T2C), Plaza España, Gran Via-Borrell, Plaza de la Universitat and Plaza Catalunya (centre of the city).
- From Plaza Catalunya to the airport: Sepúlveda-Urgell, Plaza Españya and Airport (Terminal T2B).
Timetable and frequency of the AEROBUS A2
- Service 24 hours a day all year round. The frequency of passage varies according to the hours of the day and goes from 10 minutes at peak hours to 2 hours 20 minutes at certain times of the night. In this link you can check the schedules in real time.
Also consider the Barcelona Transport Pass, which includes the Aerobus ticket, the Hola BCN card (unlimited trips on Barcelona's public transport) and a Barcelona audio guide.
The bus line 46
There is another bus line with less frequency which takes you to Barcelona (Plaça Espanya and Fira Barcelona). The travel time is a bit longer (about 50 minutes) but the ticket, you can buy it on the bus, is cheaper (2.40 €, price 2022. You can also use the Hola BCN card, T-casual (1 zone) and other cards). It's the line línea 46 and can be taken at all terminals. Please note that the T-casual card cannot be purchased at the automatic sale machines of the airport metro stations, it can only be purchased at the machines at the train station (terminal T2).
Night bus Barcelona airport
Travel from all airport terminals to the Plaça Catalunya - Pelai (center of Barcelona). It has several stops on Gran Vía, in Plaça Espanya and Plaça Universitat.
- Schedule from the airport to Plaça Catalunya - Pelai: from 0:18 to 4:33 h with a frequency of 60 minutes.
- Schedule from Plaça Catalunya - Pelai to the airport: from 0:05 to 4:50 h with a frequency of 60 minutes.
- Price (2022 rate): € 2.40. The same transport cards and passes can be used as on day buses.
There is another night bus line that goes to Barcelona, the N17, which only leaves from the T1 terminal and passes through L'Hospitalet de Llobregat before reaching the center of Barcelona.
Getting Barcelona by train from the airport
The access is from Terminal 2 (T2) through a pedestrian walkway. There is a free airport shuttle bus between the 2 Terminals, for those who arrive or depart from the Terminal (T1).
The stations (with connections to metro and bus lines):
- Main train station of Sants (Plaça de Sants, close to the Plaça d'Espanya)
- Passeig de Gracia (centre of Barcelona)
- Clot-Aragó (Av. Meridiana, close to the Plaça de les Glòries)
- Barcelona-Sant Andreu Comtal
Timetables (from the aiport): monday to sunday from 05:42 h.to 23:38.
Timetables (from Sants station): monday to sunday from 05:13 h.to 23:13.
Timetables (from Passeig de Gràcia station): monday to sunday from 05:08 h.to 23:07.
Frequency: every half an hour.
Travel time to Barcelona Sants: 20 minutes
Travel time to Passeig de Gràcia (Barcelona city center): 24 minutes
Price 1 way: 4,60 € (price 2022). You can also use the Hola BCN card, T-casual (1 zone) and other cards
Taxi of Barcelona airport
Barcelona taxis are easily spotted with their yellow and black livery. There are taxi ranks outside each terminal building. The journey into the city takes around 30 minutes and costs around € 30,00. Taxis are obliged to offer credit card payment, not charge for luggage and issue a receipt for the journey made; and wheelchairs and pushchairs must be carried free of charge. As for pets, it is up to the taxi driver to accept them or not, except in the case of guide dogs, which must be accepted.
Hire a car in Barcelona airport
The airport access road is the Barcelona-Castelledefels motorway C-31. The exit B-22 leads to the T1 and the C-32B leads to the T2. The 2 terminals are connected by a road. The C-31 motoway leads directly into the city on the Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes (popular Gran Via), the principal Avenue of Barcelona which runs the city from south to north, and it's quite easy to get to the centre. By the way, if you rent a car you will need to book a parking.
Transfer service to go from the airport to Barcelona
The most simple and convenient option for visitors coming to Barcelona is a private shuttle service. It is not much more expensive than a taxi and they will wait for you with a sign with your name inside the terminal. Indicative prices:
- From 1 to 3 people: from €43.00
- 4 people: from €46.00
- 5 people: from €57.00
- 6 and 7 people: from €60.00
- From 8 to 13 people: from €71.00
- From 14 to 16 people: from €89.00
- From 17 to 18 people: from €96.00
You can also book transfers for larger groups and shared transfers.
Going from Barcelona airport to other areas
- How to get to Cambrils from Barcelona - El Prat Airport
- How to get to Salou from Barcelona - El Prat Airport
- How to get to Sitges from Barcelona - El Prat Airport
- How to get to Girona airport from Barcelona - El Prat airport