Model, Barcelona Architectures Festival is promoted by the Barcelona City Council and the College of Architects of Catalonia (COAC), and aims to transform urban space into a platform to showcase emerging architectural and design talent; the city in a plural and multidisciplinary meeting forum for thought leaders from all over the world; and architecture in a space of exploration for all citizens. The festival will be the first major event of the UIA-Unesco World Architecture Capital of Barcelona 2026.
The festival is guided by five broad overarching themes to craft new ideas and new architecture:
- Between generations: imagine architectures for mutual care between generations.
- Between species: thinking about urban planning to reconcile human well-being with that of the species that live with us in the city.
- Between cultures: new models that allow us to understand and transform the city taking into account its cultural complexity.
- Between classes: architecture as a means to create more egalitarian and accessible spaces.
- Between subjects: how to intervene architecturally to face the climatic emergency.
The 2022 edition of Model. Barcelona Architectures Festival
In the first edition of the festival there will be physical and augmented reality installations, debates in emblematic spaces of Barcelona, a tribute to Oriol Bohigas at the Ateneu Barcelonès and more than one hundred activities organized by independent entities.
Model's motto for this edition
The motto of the first edition of Model will be Re-grow, which expresses the desire to explore new perspectives, lines of thought and values that contribute to reorienting the growth of the city.
Ephemeral architecture installations
One of the most outstanding components of the festival are the 10 installations of ephemeral architecture and augmented reality:
- Model's five ephemeral architecture installations will be located in Plaza de Catalunya, Plaza Reial, Paseo de Lluís Companys, Ronda de Sant Antoni and Plaza de Idrissa Diallo, five symbolic spaces in the city. It will be about interventions in the public space that allow to debate the conflicts of these environments, discover the hidden memories and speculate about the future. The facilities may be adopted by citizens for daily use during the days of the festival, and will become the stage for meetings and conversations, debates, artistic actions, musical performances and popular meals.
- The five augmented reality installations can be seen through mobile devices located in Plaza Urquinaona, the Arc de Triomf, Paral·lel Avenue, the statue of Columbus and Plaza Universitat.
More than 100 activities
In addition to the installations and debates, at Model you can take part in more than a hundred activities such as open days, workshops for all ages, exhibitions, routes, screenings, an international thematic book fair and other participatory proposals.
The invited city
As the World Architecture Capital of the year 2023, Copenhagen will be the city invited to the festival, with which projects, experiences and learning will be shared in the institutional, academic sphere, between schools and professional sectors and between companies linked to the world of architecture and urbanism.