Asian Film Festival Barcelona - AFFBCN

Type: 
Cinema
Festival

Eighth edition of the festival specializing in cinema from the Asia-Pacific region organized by Casa Asia. The Asian Film Festival of Barcelona wants to become a reference competition by bringing the best filmography from the Asian continent, and facilitating the meeting between professionals from the sector and the film industry.

The AFFBCN focuses on auteur cinema and drama as a genre, which is evident in the theme of most of the films selected for this edition: migration, gender violence, school and workplace bullying, and loneliness. The festival does not focus solely on consolidated cinematographies such as Iran, India, China, Japan and Korea, it also approaches independent and experimental cinema from other countries, whose growth must be taken into account due to their increasingly solid contributions, as is the case from Mongolia, the Philippines, Australia, or Afghanistan.

AFFBCN 2020: 118 feature films from 25 countries

Due to health restrictions due to the covid-19 pandemic, this edition will be held in a mixed format, in person and online. The festival will include 118 feature films from 25 countries in its program, of which 70% will be screened in the cinemas of the Cinemes Girona, CaixaForum, Filmoteca de Catalunya and CineBaix de Sant Feliu de Llobregat; the remaining 30% can be seen on the FILMIN platform, where the Casa Asia Channel was inaugurated last July. The contest maintains its usual sections: Official, Official Panorama, Discoveries, Netpac and Special, all of them in competition and most of the feature films are from 2019.

In this edition, the cinema of Southeast Asia has a greater role (Philippines, Myanmar, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand). The Philippines presents 10 films, including "Mindanao" (2019) and "The Halt" (2019), by two acclaimed directors, Brillante Mendoza and Lav Díaz. Also noteworthy is the film project “Mekong 2030” a film composed of 5 shorts about the future of the Mekong River, by directors Kulikar Sotho (Cambodia), Anysay Keola (Laos), Sai Naw Kham (Myanmar), Anocha Suwichakornpongy (Thailand ) and Pham Ngog Lan (Vietnam).

Kinuyo Tanaka retrospective

Filmoteca de Catalunya will hold a retrospective for this year's edition with 5 feature films by Japanese director Kinuyo Tanaka. This retrospective is organized by the Japan Foundation.

Opening and closing

The eighth edition of the Asian Film Festival Barcelona will begin on October 28 with the screening of the film "The Orphanage", by Afghan director Shahrbanco Sadat, at CaixaForum. The closing of the eighth edition of the Asian Film Festival Barcelona will be carried out by "Zero Floor" (2019), by the Iranian director Ebrahim Ebrahimian on November 8, also in Girona cinemas.

Venues

Cinemes Girona: In this venue you can see most of the programming, and the opening and closing films of the AFFBCN.
Address: C / Girona, 175.

CaixaForum: 6 films.
Address: Avenida Francisco Ferrer Guardia, 6-8.

Filmoteca Catalunya: 5 films (retrospective dedicated to Kinuyo Takana).
Address: Plaza de Salvador Seguí, 1-9

CineBaix in Sant Feliu de Llobregat: 6 films.
Address: Carrer de Joan Batllori, 21, Sant Feliu de Llobregat (Barcelona)

Festival: from October 28 to November 8
Retrospective: from December 1 to 12 (Filmoteca de Catalunya)

AFFBCN 2020 has the support of the ICEC of the Department of Culture of the Generalitat, the Institute of Culture of the Barcelona City Council, Catalunya Film Festivals, Fundació La Caixa, Fundació Institut Confuci de Barcelona, ​​Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, Japan Foundation, the EFE Agency, El Periódico de Catalunya and Betevé, among others.