The Barcelona International Comic Fair, which has been held since 1981 and which this year reaches its 41st edition, is a annual event of reference in the world of comics in Spain , aimed at both professionals and the general public. During the event, many publishing novelties of the sector are presented and numerous awards are awarded. In addition to visiting the exhibitors' stands, at this fair dedicated to the world of comics you can enjoy many activities: projections, exhibitions, round tables, school activities and master classes. The Barcelona International Comic Fair is not forgetting the future of comics with the Comic Kids and Comic Pro sections. The Comic Kids section is a space dedicated to children between the ages of 5 and 12 that aims to introduce children to reading comics. Comic Pro is the space for new talents looking for editors to create the works of the future.
The 2023 edition of Comic Barcelona
Comic Barcelona will be held from March 31 to April 2, 2023 with the full recovery of face-to-face attendance. The 41st edition will feature new programming and the return of international guests, reflecting the diversity of the medium. The poster is the work of the artist Teresa Valero, who has captured the richness of the language of comics and its multiple possibilities.
The first wave of confirmed names includes Anne Simon (Boris the Potato Kid, The Dome), Aude Picault ( Diosa, Garbuix Books), Zerocalcare (The Armadillo Prophecy, Reservoir Books), Barbara Stok (Vincent, Salamandra Graphic), Rosemary Valero-O'Connell (Laura Dean breaks with me, Don't go without me, The Dome and Astiberri), Igort (Kokoro, Salamandra Graphic), Léa Murawiec (The Great Void, Salamandra Graphic) and Sammy Harkham (Everything and Nothing, Fulgencio Pimentel).
- The architecture of the cartoons presents a wide sample of the career of the renowned illustrator and comic book author Daniel Torres. It is divided into ten sections, which include his first steps in the profession and his more personal works, and includes originals, color proofs, and previously unpublished material. The exhibition is a journey into Torres's creative universe, his work system and how he has forged himself as an artist.
- Magas del Humor brings together some thirty young graphic authors related to humor who have published their work in Spain. The exhibition includes the work of pioneers and young authors who have emerged in recent times thanks to the dissemination of their work on personal blogs on the Internet and social networks such as Instagram. In total, the exhibition houses the work of 34 authors, mostly women, who have participated in the most important newspapers and humorous magazines in Spain.
- WOW! Fragmentos imaginarios de Genie Espinosa showcases the work of the young illustrator and comic book author, including her first graphic novel 'Hoops,' a feminist dystopian fantasy. The exhibition includes several examples of the author's work and presents a very special vision of her creative universe. Genie Espinosa won the Miguel Gallardo Revelation Author Award at Comic Barcelona in 2022.
- DRAWINGS AND DUNGEONS. Comic, art and role by David López by David López will show his work as a cartoonist for Marvel and DC, as well as his facet as a role player, through illustrations, comics and character designs. < /li>
- Commercial Area: The section of the large multimedia groups, publishers and bookstores specializing in comics.
- Comic Pro: space for networking, thought, action and opportunities for the sector.
- Comic Vision: from paper to audiovisual media. Comics feed the cinema, streaming platforms and television. Cartoonists, scriptwriters, filmmakers, producers, showrunners, art concept, story-board... Master-classes, round tables, presentations, projections, exhibitions...
- Comic Fantasy: a new space where you can discover (the youngest) and rediscover (the most veteran) games from other times: role-playing clubs, card games, board games, wargames... There will be exhibitions, round tables, workshops, demonstrations...
- Comic Kids: for boys and girls from 5 to 12 years old. Workshops and activities distributed in all spaces.
- Fanzine Zone: The Fanzine zone wants to contribute to the professionalization and promotion of talent, as well as giving the opportunity for the works of new artists to be known.
- Artist Alley: section for comic book authors with published work, they will be able to sell their original pages, sketches and self-published works directly to the public.
- Cospay Zone: cosplay contests with very interesting prizes. In this area you will also find various photocalls, the Cosplay Help (repair workshop) and photographic exhibitions.
Comics professionals vote for a maximum of five works published in Spain in the following categories:
- Best Work by a Spanish Author/Author
- Miguel Gallardo Award to the Author/Revelation Author
- Best Work by a Foreign Author/Writer
- Best Fanzine
- Best Children's and Youth Comic
- Online general admission: €10
- Discounted online ticket: €8
- General admission online or at the box office from March 31: €12
- General admission online or at the box office with a discount from March 31: €10
- School group entrance: €3
- Under 5 years old: free.