The exterior of the Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar (1329-1383) offers a compact look that does not convey what we will find inside. It is the most faithful representative of the austere Catalan Gothic style and has been long considered as the cathedral of seafarers. And no wonder, the parishioners of the port area and the Ribera quarter were the ones who contributed with their money or with their work. Apparently, the whole population of the Ribera quarter participated in the construction and especially the unloaders of the docks, who were called “galafates” de la Ribera or “bastaixos”, reason why the main door of the Basilica pays homage to them.
The Santa Maria del Mar has suffered several disasters: In 1379, when the fourth tranche of vaults were about to be finished, the scaffolding caught fire and the stones suffered a considerable damage. Later, the 1428 earthquake caused the collapse of the rosette, causing some deaths. And finally there was a fire on 3 and 4 August 1936 caused by anarchists and communists who stormed the temple (like other churches in Barcelona).
Opening hours to visit Santa Maria del Mar in 2022
- Monday to Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- From Monday to Saturday from 12:00 to 17:00 and on Sunday from 13:30 to 17:00, admission must be paid.
Cultural visit price
- Visit inside the temple + gallery space museum + crypt: € 5.00.
- Visit inside the temple + gallery space museum + crypt + towers + roofs: 1 person € 10.00 / 2 people € 15.00.
Free for children under 10 years of age accompanied by an adult, and for people with a degree of disability greater than 65%.
Tickets are purchased at the Visitor Information Point of the Basilica (inside, next to the entrance to the Portal del Paseo del Born).
- Monday to Saturday: 7:30 p.m. (in Catalan)
- Sundays: 12:00 p.m. International High Mass and 7:30 p.m. Evening Mass (in Spanish)
Where is it?
How to get there
Metro: L4 Jaume I
Bus: 47, 120, H14, V12, V15, N0, N6, N28, N70 and Tourist Bus (red route, bus stop Pla de Palau - Parc de la Ciutadella)