The Magic Fountain of Montjuïc, created by the architect, engineer and lighting technician Carles Buigas, is the main element of a series of cascades and fountains which extends from the museum MNAC (National Art Museum of Catalunya) to the Plaza Espanya. It is called magical because of its water, light and music show.
It was built in 1929 for the Barcelona International Exhibition as a water and light show and in the 80s, the music was incorporated. From this source flow 2600 liters per second in a circulatory system, which will, if necessary, be fed by the water that comes from the ground water reservoir of the Montjuïc hill.
Days and hours of The Magic Fountains of Montjuïc in 2022
From the 1st of April to the 31st of May:
- Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays, from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- The shows start at 9:00 p.m.
From the 1st of June to the 30th of September:
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, from 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (on September 21, 22 and 23 there may be changes due to the special shows for the Mercè Festival)
- The shows start at 9:30 p.m.
- Show canceled on September 11 due to the acts of the diada of Catalonia.
From the 1st of October to the 10th of October:
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday, from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- The shows start at: 9:00 p.m.
From the 11th of October to the 21th of December:
- The Magic Fountain of Montjuïc will remain closed for maintenance.
From the 22nd of December 2022 to the 31st of March 2023:
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., it is possible that the fountain will not work some day before December 31 due to the preparations of the New Year's Eve show.
- The shows start at 8:00 p.m.
Christmas and the Magic Fountain
As is traditional during Christmas, the Magic Fountain of Montjuïc, program specific choreographies with Christmas music, which are combined with the usual operation of the fountain. In addition, the space around the fountain on December 31 offers the New Year's Eve show and, on January 5, a special program on the occasion of the Three Kings parade.