The Serielizados Fest is an international festival about everything related to television fiction that is designed for fans of television series. During the festival you can see unpublished documentaries, screenings of chapters, attend lectures by professionals in the audiovisual sector (with special attention to showrunners) and witness humor and music shows.
The 2022 edition of Serielizados Fest
The International Series Festival will open its 9th edition in Barcelona with the premiere of "Smiley", the new Netflix series, produced by Minoria Absoluta, is based on the acclaimed play by Guillem Clua (National Playwriting Award 2022), who serves as showrunner in this adaptation. The opening ceremony of Serielizados Fest Barcelona will be held on October 18 at Sala Phenomena and the rest of the program will take place in various venues(CCCB, CASA SEAT, Rouge Cocktail Club and also at Sala Phenomena).
In this 9th edition, premieres will be programmed such as "Fácil", the new Movistar Plus+ original series created by Anna R. Costa ("Arde Madrid") and Laura Jou ('La vida sin Sara Amat'), which tells us about four women with functional diversity who want to live in an apartment in Barceloneta and start their independence together. ATRESplayer PREMIUM will present the preview of "La Ruta", which tells the story behind the social and cultural phenomenon that was the "bakalao route" of the 80s and 90s in Valencia. The series is created by Borja Soler and Roberto Martín Maiztegui. The screening and discussion session will be moderated by journalist and dj Luis Costa. Afterwards the Serielizados Fest will have a closing party at the Pati de les dones of the CCCB with bakala music sessions by djs and producers of the time. The night will end at the Sala Apolo in Barcelona with a thematic musical program at Nitsa.
In this edition, the 7 international series competing in the official section will be shown at the Sala Phenomena in Barcelona, that is, on the big screen. And later, they will be available at the festival online on the Filmin platform, as usual.
- "Big Boys" (UK, 2022). This sitcom follows two boys who, although at seemingly opposite ends of the masculinity spectrum, become great friends at university.
- "Esterno Notte" (Italy, 2022). Directed by renowned filmmaker Marco Bellocchio, this political drama about the true story of Aldo Moro, leader of the Christian Democrats and supporter of pacting a historic alliance with the Communist party (PCI) in 1978. On the very day of the inauguration ceremony of this new formation, Moro was ambushed, kidnapped for 55 days and assassinated.
- "Lost Luggage" (Belgium, 2022). A female police officer is assigned the task of returning suitcases and other belongings to victims of the 2016 Brussels airport terrorist attacks. Her obsession with each case will lead her to stop taking care of herself.
- "Sherwood" (UK, 2022). James Graham's latest BBC smash hit, with more than six million viewers tuning in to each episode, premieres for the first time in Spain at Barcelona's Serielizados Fest. Inspired by true events, 'the series takes us to a small mining town in Nottingham, where two shocking and unexpected murders shake the community, precipitating one of the biggest manhunts in the country's history.
- "The Shift" (Denmark, 2022). From Lone Scherfig, director of "An Education," this is one of the Scandinavian factory's standout series for this 2022. Scherfig is Ella, a midwife who runs the best maternity ward in Denmark. But often, mental and physical strain pushes workers to their limits.
- "Ida Takes Charge" (Norway, 2022). Ida moves to Oslo to study psychology. Her biggest fear is a terrorist attack at her university. It all starts when she meets Aksel, a lone wolf labeled incel (involuntary celibate), a regular on strange forums. Ida begins to think he is a potential genocidal. The more she gets to know him, the more afraid she becomes.
- "Suspicion" (Czech Republic, 2021). One of the most chilling performances of recent years. Based on true events, it tells us about the life of Hana Kučerová, a cold nurse with no social skills, who often treats her patients badly. When one of them dies under suspicious circumstances, the media, the police and her colleagues at the hospital are clear that she is to blame. A miniseries that does not try to blame, but to identify the difference between truth and appearance.
In the documentary section of the erielizados Fest, two series that review fundamental moments in television fiction stand out:
- "In My Mind" (UK, 2017), which deals with one of the most enigmatic and influential series of the 20th century: "The Prisoner".
- "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" (Japan, 2013), which transports us to the celebrated animation film studio Ghibli. With free access to their studio, we follow key Ghibli personnel (and director Hayao Miyazaki and the "other" director, Isao Takahata) for a year as they prepare their highly anticipated new films, "The Wind Rises" and "The Tale of Princess Kaguya."
9th Serialized Pilots Showcase
Serielizados Fest Barcelona will screen the finalist pilot episodes in a session open to the public at the CCCB Theater. The audience will also have the opportunity to cast their vote. The Zoom Festival of Igualada and DAMA, collaborate in this festival that each year brings together hundreds of spectators. The masterclass of the Showcase will be in charge of Ana Rujas and Alex de Lucas, about the dialogue between history and music in the series "Cardo".
The five finalist pilots
- "Pringadas" ( by Belén Puime Bao): in each episode, three roommates open their personal diary that tells about situations that made them feel like pringadas.
- "Pocos, buenos y seguros" ( by Gorka Lasaosa and Ales Payá): a historical drama mini-series project that revolves around the revolt of social prisoners that took place in the vast majority of Spanish prisons during the Transition.
- "El polígono" ( by Thomas Barrera Howarth): María is a polygonist with a strong character, with very clear ideas and incapable of letting a conflict pass. She works in the "Taberna el Pirra", a family business located in a place with a very particular idiosyncrasy: an industrial estate in Seville.
- "Lisa" (by Ingride Santos and Raquel Barrera): the long-awaited day has arrived for an extraordinary girl. Lisa has been eager to start a career in Mechatronics for years, and now she is finally here. But, just as every student starts classes eager to eat the world, for Lisa, a girl on the autism spectrum, facing college life can be like riding a roller coaster.
- "Cosas de ratas" ( by Borja Pakrolsky): the protagonist, a rat, is involved in a situation so recognizable to the viewers that they connect immediately. This micro story full of truths explores the different "I's" that inhabit each one of us.
Talks and podcast
- Javier Olivares (creator of 'El Ministerio del Tiempo') and Pilar Eyre (author of the book 'Yo, el Rey') talk about what it means to undertake a project on the controversial (and protected) figure of Juan Carlos I.
- Jorge Carrión presents an extension of his book "Teleshakespeare" (published by Galaxia Gutenberg, 2022) with 100 new pages written with the specialist critic Lorenzo Mejino.
- Oye Polo, the podcast that, according to its presenters, the New York Times defined as "an hour of bullshit by two aunts who would be billing twelve thousand euros a month if the world were a fair place".
In this edition of Serielizados Fest, the festival organization pays tribute to a series as pioneering as it is immortal: "Teresines SA". On the 30th anniversary of its premiere on TV3. Another classic that celebrates its birthday is "The Shield". Together with AXN channel, the festival will offer a tribute session to one of the most emblematic (and incorrect) police series on television. The most famous puppet of Catalan television will also receive a tribute: Mic, a pumpkin-colored wool puppet that has been accompanying children uninterruptedly for 15 years. The session will feature the presence of Mic, in flesh and blood, for the little ones to enjoy.
Serielizados Next is an initiative carried out in collaboration with Acció Cinema. It is a selection of series with a feminist, vindictive and diverse vocation.