The main building of the MACBA (Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona), which covers an area of 14,300 m2, is the work of the North-American Richard Meier. Its construction began in 1991 and was completed in 1995.
The white color, the glass skylights, the reflective materials, and the curved and straight lines have shaped a luminous space of harmony and singular beauty. This museum located in the Raval quarter, is dedicated to the exhibition of contemporary art and, as a public entity, to generate critical debates about art and culture.
The MACBA is declared a museum of national interest by the Generalitat de Catalunya.
The MACBA Collection
The MACBA collection was officially created in 1997. It begins with the material abstraction of the fifties of the twentieth century, and contains works of European pop and the avant-garde of the 60s and 70s. It also has works of photographic figuration and the anti-minimalist sculpture of the 80s, and more current works by young artists. As for the origin, the works are from local, national and international artists. In the case of international artists, it focuses mainly on South America and the Eastern countries, although recently it has also incorporated works by artists from North Africa, the Middle East and the Arab world in general.
MACBA opening hours 2023
- Monday to Friday: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Non-holiday Tuesdays: closed
- Saturdays: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Sundays and holidays: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Closed on the days: January 1 and December 25
Holidays with special opening hours
- January 6: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- April 7 and 10: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- May 1: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- June 5: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- June 24: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- August 15: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- September 11 and 25: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- October 12: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- November 1: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- December 6, 8 and 26: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Visit MACBA for free
- Every Saturday, from 4:00 p.m., sponsored by UNIQLO
- February 12: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Santa Eulàlia)
- April 15: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Book World)
- April 16: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Book World)
- May 13: from 18:00 to 01:00 (Night of the Museums)
- May 18: from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (International Museum Day)
- September 24: from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (La Mercè)
The MACBA in the Articket and in the Barcelona Card
Where is it?
How to get there
Metro: L1, L2 Universitat L1, L3 Catalunya
Bus: 7, 24, 41, 50, 54, 55, 59, 62, 63, 66, 67, 91, H12, H16, V13, V15, 120, N16 and Tourist Bus (red and blue routes, Plaça Catalunya bus stop)
Add new comment