There are some indications that the origins of the Basilica of Santa María del Pi are in the 5th century. However, the first reliable reference to the origin of this church in the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona is from the year 987. At that time the church had at least three altars. If the existence of the church of Santa María del Pi is reliable, what is not known with certainty, is whether it was on the same site as the current Gothic church. There are no data on the place where the original church was (probably in the Romanesque style), but since there are no archaeological remains, it is assumed that it was demolished to build the Gothic church or completely integrated. Construction of the current Gothic temple began in the early 14th century and the church was completed around 1497.
Visit the Basilica of Santa María del Pi
The Basilica of Santa María del Pi is a single nave church with a portal of arches between Plaza del Pi and Plaza de Sant Josep Oriol. It was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1931. This church contains an important collection of Catalan goldsmithing and the permanent historical exhibition. In addition to the temple, you can visit the crypt, the garden and the bell tower, which has views over Barcelona. The visit to the bell tower is only possible in the guided tour option that can be done on request by writing to email: email@example.com or by calling +34 933 184 743.
Opening hours the Basilica of Santa María del Pi (2023)
- Monday to Saturday: 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Closed: December 25 and 26 / January 1 and 6 / May 12
- Adults: €5.00
- Under 25s and over 65s: €4.00
- Children under 6 years old, unemployed and disability > 33%: free
Add new comment