The D'A Film Festival Barcelona 2023 reaches its 13th edition with the best auteur cinema produced in the world: a combination of new and established directors, films that have triumphed at other international festivals and with attention directed towards new trends in filmmaking.
The 2023 edition of the D'A Film Festival Barcelona
D'A 2023 dedicates its retrospective to Joanna Hogg, one of the essential directors of European cinema. The British director will present her latest film, The Eternal Daughter, starring her friend Tilda Swinton. Hogg explores personal relationships in a poetic and profound way, but under an exquisite, intimate and delicate appearance. In the Focus that D'A dedicates to him with the collaboration of the Filmoteca de Catalunya, Exhibition (2013), The Souvenir (2019) and The Souvenir II (2021) can be seen.
The festival launches a new section dedicated to audiovisual concerts with the Catalan premiere of Plena Pausa , the show created by J from Los Planetas from the images from the Iván Zulueta archives recovered by the Spanish Film Library.
Among the great films of the festival we will have The Master Gardener by Paul Schrader, a film premiered at the Venice Biennale and starring Joel Edgerton and Sigourney Weaver, with which the veteran writer-director closes a particular trilogy dedicated to forgiveness and redemption. The two great films of the moment in Portuguese cinema will also be screened: El trio en E flat by Rita Azevedo, a meta-cinematographic film based on the play of the same title written by Eric Rohmer, and the latest film by João Pedro Rodrigues, Fire fatuo , winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the Seville Festival and in which the director of El ornitólogo presents a crazy musical.
Opening and closing
The D'A – Barcelona Film Festival will open with Chronicle of an Ephemeral Love , by French director Emmanuel Mouret, starring Vincent Macaigne, which has received his sixth César Award nomination. Both the director and the leading actor will attend the festival to present the film. The festival will close with one of the most anticipated Spanish films of the year, 20,000 species of bees , director Estibaliz Urresola Solaguren 's debut film that tells the story of a trans girl. The film will compete in the official section of the Berlinale 2023 and will have its Catalan premiere at the D'A.
The big names of D'A
Among the prominent names of D'A 2023 we have Tilda Swinton, Paul Schrader, Vincent Macaigne, Emmanuel Mouret, Rita Azevedo, Mariano Llinás or João Pedro Rodrigues. The renewal of Spanish and Catalan independent cinema comes from the hand of Alba Cros, Amat Vallmajor or the group of five filmmakers who have directed Un sol radiant.
The sections of the D'A
- Directions: consolidated directors of world cinema.
- Talents: directors with less than three films in their filmography.
- Transitions: emerging authors who are already more than promises.
- Focus: retrospective section, dedicated this year to the 60th anniversary of Critics' Week, the oldest parallel section of the Cannes Film Festival.
- Premieres: the premieres of the festival.
- A Collective Impulse 2022: will review the state of Spanish cinema produced outside of officialdom.
- Symphonies of the City: a project produced by the CCCB that presents different perceptions of the city through the perspective of six female directors and a collective.
- Filmin Emergents: films by new directors.
- Audiovisual concerts: concert series.
Add new comment